Stocking a Home Medicine Cabinet
We feel it is important that all households should keep a reasonably stocked medical cabinet at home to deal with minor ailments.
- Paracetamol tablets for general pain relief in adults
- Paracetamol liquid/Calpol for relief of pain and/or fever in young children
- Calamine lotion for use on dermatitis and on insect bites and stings and sunburn to soothe
- Antiseptic cream for sores, grazes and septic spots
- Soluble aspirin tablets for adults and children over 12 (good for headaches, colds and sore throats)
- Antihistamine tablets for relief of inflammation from itches/rashes and allergic reactions caused by body's over production of histamine. Useful in allergy reactions such as watery eyes, sneezing and swelling from insect bites. Recommend to use newer brands which are less sedative.
- Indigestion remedies for relief of heartburn and indigestion pains
- Tweezers for removing splinters Thermometer for checking fevers
- Plasters for cuts bandages, dressing,
- Non-absorbent cotton wool for cleaning minor cuts and grazes
- Vapour Rub for steam inhalation, stuffy noses or dry coughs. Rub into chest and on nose.
Keep medicines in a secure, locked cabinet out of reach of children. Always read the instructions and use the suggested dose. Watch expiry dates - don't keep or use medicines past their sell-by-date. Take all unwanted items back to pharmacy.